Research Base Salaries
The University of Montana allows a faculty member to request the establishment of a separate position (research base). The requested research base will be reviewed and considered on an individual basis. It is possible to request a new base after five years following the same process outlined below.
- The faculty member collects and documents current salary information for at least three peers secured from nationally-recognized resources.
- The faculty member completes the Request for Research Base form, with the salary documentation attached, and submits it to the departmental chair (or equivalent).
- The chair is responsible for thorough vetting, and if supportive, adds justification/comments to the Request for Research Base form and forwards all materials to the Dean.
- The Dean reviews for appropriateness and includes his justification/comments to the Request for Research Base form and submits the form along with attached documentation to the Provost.
- The Provost reviews all materials, adds CUPA information, and, if approves, gives all documentation to the Vice President for Research.
- When approved by the Vice President for Research, the signed request and all attachments are forwarded to the President.
- Once the President’s approval is secured, all documentation is returned to the Office of the Vice President for Research.
- The Office of the Vice President for Research forwards the original documentation to Human Resource Services.
- Human Resource Services (HRS) retains the original documentation and forwards the request to the Commissioner’s Office for approval.
- Once approved, HRS notifies the Vice President for Research in writing.
- The Vice President for Research or his/her designee notifies the faculty member, chair, dean and/or director of the decision.
NOTE: When approved, an individual’s research base must be used for all organized sponsored activity. Also, active research bases are automatically adjusted in Human Resource Services for merit, promotions, and across-the-board increases. Market adjustments are not automatically adjusted and must be made as a specific request for research base change.
- If the request for a research base is denied after vetting by the Dean, the faculty member may write a formal appeal to the Vice President for Research.
- Upon receipt of the formal appeal, the Vice President for Research will convene a meeting and include the Provost, the departmental Chair and Dean, three professional colleagues as suggested by the faculty member, and the Director of Human Resource Services.
- The eight individuals on this appeal committee will meet to review and make a final determination.
- If the final determination is supportive, the Vice President for Research will endorse the request on the Request for Research Base form to the President, and the process continues.
- If the final determination is to deny the appeal, there is no further appeal and the decision stands.