Entrance & Scholarship
Brass Audition Requirements
1. All MAJOR and two minor scales.
2. Chromatic scale:
Horn — low c - high c
Trumpet — low f# - high c
Trombone, Euphonium, Tuba
1. Chromatic — low e - high b-flat.
2. 1 lyrical solo/etude and 1 technical solo/etude OR one solo/etude showing both styles.
3. Sight Reading.
The University of Montana
School of Music
32 Campus Drive
Missoula, MT 59812
Percussion Audition Requirements— Perform on snare drum and at least one of the
other elements listed below.
1. Snare Drum:
A. Rudiments — Flam, Flam-tap, Paradiddle, 5 stroke roll, Single stroke roll [Play each open (slow) to closed (fast as possible) to open].
B. Buzz Roll — Play 16 count buzz roll starting pp, cresc. to ff and diminuendo to pp.
C. Solo — perform a prepared solo (rudimental or orchestral) of appropriate difficulty.
2. Mallet Keyboard: Prepared solo or etude of appropriate difficulty.
3. Timpani: Prepared solo or etude.
4. Drumset: Styles — medium swing, up-tempo swing, bossa-nova, samba, 16-note-based funk. Phrase every four bars with a light fill. Soloing — one or more of the above styles and trade fours with yourself (4 bars of time, 4 bars or solo & repeat). You may also play a prepared written solo.
5.Multiple Percussion: Prepared solo or etude