Welcome to the UM Choral Audition web page
Thank you for your interest in the UM Choirs
The following is important information regarding this year’s choir auditions.
**Please read carefully**
UM Choral Audition Checklist:
- Fill out a UM Choral Audition Form (please complete all forms by 1:00pm Friday 8/23)
- Choose a day and time for your audition here: UM Choral Audition Times
- Prepare this choral excerpt (Choral Audition Excerpt) only if you plan to audition for the Chamber Chorale
- Arrive to your audition 10 minutes early (Dr. Edmonds’ office, music Rm 209)
- Check for an email from Dr. Edmonds Monday night, August 26, for the Chorale callback list
- Check all results which will be posted Wednesday morning in the music building
- Register for your choir as soon as the results are posted
The auditions will be held on the following dates and times:
**Sign up for a time using the link above**
--Friday, August 23, 1:00pm - 4:00pm
--Saturday, August 24, 1:00pm - 4:00pm
--Sunday, August 25, 1:00pm - 8:00pm
--Monday, August 26, 8:00am - 8:00pm (first day of classes)
Your 7-minute audition will consist of:
--Singing through simple vocal exercises to determine voice range and quality (i.e. a vocal warm up)
--A basic tonal memory exercise (in which you will sing patterns of notes played on the piano)
--A brief sight-singing example
--You may be asked to sing “My Country ‘Tis of Thee”
Chamber Chorale CALLBACKS Tuesday, August 27 6:00-8:00pm:
--There will be a callback audition for those pursuing membership in the Chamber Chorale only.
--An email will be sent out Monday evening, August 26 with the callback list.
--Failure to attend the callback will prevent you from being selected for the Chamber Chorale.
--A prepared excerpt will be a part of the Chamber Chorale callbacks. Use the link above to download and print a copy of the music. You will be expected to sing your part, with the text, in a small group during the callback audition. You will not be able to learn the part at the audition.
If you are auditioning for admission to the voice area as a major/minor or to be placed in a voice studio, you must complete a separate audition. Information for the voice area auditions can be found at UM Voice Auditions.
Please be punctual, professional and prepared for your auditions and the callbacks. I look forward to meeting each of you and hearing you sing!
Please contact me with any questions.
Dr. David Edmonds