UM Summer Music Camp @ UM School of Music
June 22-28, 2014
June 22-28, 2014
MUSIC OFFICE TELEPHONE:The Music Camp Office telephone number is (406) 243-6880 and email is firstname.lastname@example.org . The dormitory phone numbers may be secured on registration day.
REGISTRATION for all campers will take place in the lobby of the Music Building between 2:00 and 5:00 p.m. on Sunday, June 22nd. The building is located on Maurice Avenue, between Eddy and Connell Streets. There is almost no parking available in front of or near the music building. Please view this Campus Parking Map showing available parking lots in relationship to the School of Music.
At the time of registration, payment will be due for any remaining balances for tuition and/or room and board, for those living on campus for the week. Students planning to stay on campus are urged to arrive early in the registration period so that you will have time to meet your roommate and get settled into your room before the placement auditions begin.
If you have not mailed them in already, PLEASE BRING YOUR COMPLETED Medical Release Form, Camper/Parent Conduct Agreement and Photo Release Form.
AUDITIONS: Placement auditions will take place on Sunday after you checked in. Audition material will be selected from the repertoire being performed. At 5:00 p.m. there will be a pizza dinner and a meeting for all campers, faculty and staff. Following this meeting, the first rehearsals for the symphonic and concert bands and orchestra will take place from 6:30 - 8:00 p.m. All campers must be present for these important Sunday evening festivities.
PRIVATE LESSONS: Another feature of the UM Music Camp is the optional lesson program. Students wishing to arrange for private lessons, to be held in addition to the daily master class sessions, are welcome to do so during the Sunday afternoon placement auditions. The charge for each half-hour lesson will be $15.00 and payment should be made directly to the teacher and not in the same payment as registration. Lesson time(s) will be scheduled which do not conflict with camp activities. Those wishing private lessons should bring the appropriate lesson materials to camp (etude books, solos, etc.)
FINANCES: All camp tuition should be paid in full prior to June 6, 2014. All Resident campers and Commuters with a meal plan will be furnished meals in the University Food Zoo. No student should carry any great amount of money for travel, or valuables during camp. It is suggested that traveler’s checks in small amounts be used. PERSONAL CHECKS CANNOT BE CASHED.
Cancellation Policy: Cancellations received prior to 5pm, Friday, June 6 will receive a full refund of all monies paid. Please allow 4-5 weeks for processing. Cancellations received after June 6 and prior to 5pm, Friday June 20 will receive a refund less your paid deposit. After June 20, all fees paid will be forfeited. For registration questions, please contact Kevin Griggs at (406) 370-8730 or via email at email@example.com
WHAT TO BRING
- If your wish to take extra lessons or perform in the Thursday Night Solo Recital, bring appropriate lesson materials and solo music.
- A combination or key padlock, if you wish to use a locker in the Music Building for you music, instrument, and/or other accessories. Lockers will be assigned at the time of registration, and there will be no charge for their use.
- Clothing appropriate for the two student performances, one on Friday evening and the final performance on Saturday. For these occasions, nice casual dresses or skirts and tops might be appropriate for the women, and slacks with short-sleeved shirts, with or without a tie, are suggested for the men. No jeans, for the performance, please.
- Your instrument(s)! Be sure they are in good working order and clearly marked with personal identification.
- All necessary musical accessories - a folding music stand; extra reeds; valve/slide oil, cork grease, mutes, and any other items which apply directly to your instrument. Bring a music lyre if you have one.
- Instrument and folding stand
- Bring any lesson music if you want a private lesson
- A good, loud alarm clock!!!!!!
- Typical summer attire for casual wear - it's usually warm but do bring some warm clothing and a jacket.
- An electric fan! Of course, we don’t know what the weather will be like when you are here, but dormitory rooms are not air-conditioned, and just in case...
- Any other personal items that will help your stay be comfortable and fun.
- Optional - mosquito repellant and sunscreen
- Umbrella and/or rain gear for rainy days
- Swimsuits (in case we can find a time: students on a swim team may find an individual time)
What is provided for dorm residents: a room key, meal pass, mattress pad, 2 sheets, pillow, pillowcase, blanket, and 2 bath towels are provided for each camper in the dorms (ALL items must be returned at week's end for a complete checkout) - don't lose anything - the 'fines' are not fun to pay! (There is a $60.00 fine for a lost key, for example!)
What to bring: hand towels and washcloths are not provided. Campers should also bring their own soap and shampoo and other personal care items as needed.
Other items to consider:
Tennis and other recreational equipment (Frisbees)
Any other reasonable items to be used during recreation/free time.
Roller blades are not permitted in any university buildings.
Parents and Students: Please Notice
Students will not be permitted to ride in cars while at camp. Students riding in automobiles with parents must have their parents sign them out of the dormitory and back in upon return. It is requested that students wear shoes at all times.
If you are planning to live on campus and will be driving yourself to Missoula for the camp (parking your car on campus), you will be required to turn in all sets of car keysto a member of our staff upon your arrival. In addition, you will need to purchase weekly parking permits, at a cost of $10.00, at the Registration Table on Sunday. Keys will be held for the week and will not be returned until the close of the camp on Saturday. You will not be allowed to drive your car during the week of the camp without special permission from a member of the staff. Students who are living off campus during the week of the camp and who are planning to commute each day will not be required to submit car keys. However, they may not transport other campers without special permission. Likewise, students living on campus are not to leave the premises in a vehicle at any time without special permission from a member of the staff. The purpose of this policy is to minimize the potential risk to both campers and the camp itself. Thanks in advance for your cooperation! In addition, campers planning to park at the University will need to purchase daily parking permits, at a cost of $3.00 per day or 5-day passes for $10 at the Registration Table on Sunday. Public Safety is vigilant about ticketing.
Bits and Pieces Which May be Helpful
Each evening, Monday through Friday, we will have special activities! All resident campers must attend all evening activities. While commuting campers are not required to attend the evening activities, we believe these activities/recitals are an integral part of the camp, and therefore we strongly encourage your attendance. Please share with your relatives, friends, and hometown music teachers that the camp will close with a final concert scheduled to begin at 11:00 a.m. on the last day of camp, Saturday, June 28th. The concert will be held in the Dennison Theatre. This performance will be open to the public with no admission charge, and everyone is encouraged to join us. The Recording Center of Missoula will be recording the concert and you may order CD’s for later delivery. (406-721-4172)
The use of alcohol and/or drugs is strictly forbidden and will not be tolerated. A VIOLATION OF THIS RULE WILL RESULT IN IMMEDIATE SUSPENSION FROM THIS CAMP.
If emergencies occur, please feel free to call upon our staff for assistance.