Configuring Mozilla Thunderbird
Follow these steps to configure Mozilla Thunderbird to check your UMConnect email (on a Mac).
1. Open Mozilla Thunderbird. If the Internet Connection Wizard does not automatically open, do the following: On the Tools menu, click Account Settings. On the Account Settings page, click Add Account.
2. In the Account Wizard New Account Setup page, select Email account, and then click Continue.
3. On the Identity page, in the Your Name field, enter your name as you want it to appear in the "From" field of your outgoing messages.
4. In the Email Address field, enter your e-mail address: NetID@UMConnect.umt.edu.
5. Click Next.
6. On the Server Information page, select POP or IMAP then click Continue.
7. In the Incoming Server field, enter: outlook.office365.com. Click Continue.
8. If you have set up an account previously in Thunderbird, there will be an additional step after the account is created. If you have not set up an account previously in Thunderbird, in the Outgoing Server field enter: smtp.office365.com.
9. On the User Names page, in the Incoming User Name and Outgoing User Name fields, enter your full e-mail address: NetID@UMConnect.umt.edu and click Continue.
10. On the Account Name page, enter the name you want to use to refer to this e-mail account (i.e. UMConnect), and then click Continue.
11. On the Congratulations page, review your configurations, and then click Finish to exit the wizard.
NOTE: After you complete this step, a reminder may tell you that you need to set up your connection to UMConnect to use SSL or TLS. You'll need to do this before you can use the new account.
1. If you entered an outgoing server in step 7, skip this step. Otherwise, you will now setup the outgoing server for UMConnect.
- Click on Tools, then Account Settings.
- Click on Outgoing Server (SMTP) and click Add.
- In the Settings dialog box, enter the following:
- Description: UMConnect SMTP
- Server Name: smtp.office365.com
- Port: 587
- Under Security and Authentication, enter the following:
- Check Use name and password
- User Name: enter your NetID@UMConnect.umt.edu
- Use Secure connection, select TLS
- Click OK.
2. Set up Thunderbird to use SSL or TLS as required by UMConnect:
- In the navigation pane of Account Settings, select Outgoing Server (SMTP). On the Outgoing Server (SMTP) Settings page, select the UMConnect SMTP server, and then click Edit.
- For Security and Authentication, under Use secure connection, select TLS and click OK.
- In the navigation pane of Account Settings, under your UMConnect configuration, select Server Settings.
- On the Server Settings page, under Security Settings, select SSL, and then click OK.
- NOTE: If you selected POP3 as your server type; under Server Settings, it's a good idea to select Leave messages on the server. This keeps a copy of the messages you retrieve to your local computer on the server. This also lets you access your messages from a different mail application.
3. In the Mail Server Password Required dialog box, type your UMConnect password. If you want Thunderbird to remember your password, click Use password Manager to Remember this password. Click OK.