REMODELING & RENNOVATION
Facilities Services is responsible for all changes or additions to the physical spaces on campus.
- Approval is required for any work, including acquisition and installation of equipment which impacts the structural, mechanical, and electrical or security system of a campus building. This will ensure that the proposed work is a feasible project which complies with campus standards and priorities, building codes, and that the existing systems can support the new equipment or remodeling space.
- The Planning and Construction Office coordinates remodeling projects for campus by assessing project requests, directly providing or contracting for project design, managing the bidding and estimating process and scheduling construction.
- Work may be done by Facilities Services' staff or by outside contractors, at the discretion of either Facilities Services management or the requesting department.
- Union contracts at The University of Montana provide clear work jurisdictions. To avoid conflicts in this area, it is important to contact the Director of Facilities Services if there is a question about who should be performing work on campus.
- Facilities Services will be responsible for negotiating and acquiring contracts, and will provide on-site review of the work.
- Large projects may require the establishment of a special Banner project account, which will be funded by the department but managed by the Planning and Construction staff. The accounting for smaller projects can often be processed through departmental accounts.