Accessible Navigation. Go to: Navigation Main Content Footer

University of Montana, School of Extended & Lifelong Learning, Extended Programs Logo, Frequently Asked Questions

FAQ about our Academic Credit Courses

Click on the links below for answers to your questions.

What are Extended Courses for Academic Credit?

These academic credit courses are organized by, funded by, and often taught by organizations that are not a part of UM.  By working through the School of Extended & Lifelong Learning, community providers of education can offer university credit for their courses if it meets UM’s standards for academic rigor and the course is taught by an instructor with the appropriate credentials.  

Extended Courses expand UM’s ability to offer unique learning opportunities with a wide range of topics and experiences.  The most common sponsored offerings are field/experiential courses, continuing training for teachers, and international travel courses.  Courses begin and end throughout each semester, and course length varies from a long weekend to several months.  Academic credit appears on a UM transcript under a special term like "Continuing Ed Spring 2014."

Courses listed in our Academic Credit Course Listing are offered for academic credit.  Students register with and pay a course fee directly to the sponsoring agency, and enroll for credit and pay a credit recording fee ($135/course) to UM.  To register for an academic credit course, contact the sponsoring organization listed in the course description.

Can I apply credits earned through Extended Courses toward a degree?

Credits do not automatically apply toward a degree program, so students should ask their academic advisor before enrolling. 

Can I meet teaching certification requirements with these non-degree courses?

Since academic credit courses through UMExtended have been approved for regular university credit, it is possible to gain credits for recertification this way. For specific questions related to teacher certification, please contact the College of Education & Human Sciences at 406-243-2032.

Is there an admissions process to enroll in an Extended Course?

No formal admission is required, and nonresidents pay the same fees as residents.  Registering for academic credit in an Extended Course does not change your admission status with the University of Montana. 

How do I register for an Extended Course?

Extended Courses require registration through sponsoring agencies unless otherwise noted. Participants register for the optional academic credit through the sponsoring agency (often at the first class meeting).

View our Academic Credit Course Listing.

Can regular UM students enroll in Extended Courses?

Extended Courses are open to everyone. UM students are welcome to attend courses, although the fees for the course do not apply to the tuition "flat spot" or the minimum credits for student services such as health insurance or the campus recreation center. 

Remember that registration for Extended Courses is not through Cyberbear.  The sponsoring agency or instructor will help you sign up for credit, usually on the first day of the course.

What is the cost? What forms of payment does UM accept?

Standard tuition and fees are not charged on these courses.  Instead, students register with and pay a course fee directly to the sponsoring agency.  The course fee varies widely.  Students then complete a Credit Registration Form and pay a credit recording fee ($135/course) to UM. 

UM accepts Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and personal checks.  International checks are not accepted.

Students who are using UM financial aid may need to complete additional financial aid paperwork, which varies depending on the course you are taking. Contact Holly Kulish at or 406-243-4168 for more information.   

Can I use an AmeriCorps Education Award to pay for a course?

It is possible to use an AmeriCorps Education Award for the cost of credit courses (including the $135 credit recording fee, course fee charged by the sponsoring agency, textbook, etc).  Note that students must pay for course costs up front and enroll for academic credit. 

The student should then log on to and request an educational expense payment be sent to the University of Montana (UM) for the amount equal to course fees and educational materials.  The request will be reviewed and processed for reimbursement upon approval.  Education Awards are usually split into two check payments and mailed to the student – one at the beginning of the course, and the second partway through the course.

For additional information about the Education Award reimbursement process, contact Holly Kulish at or 406-243-4168.

How long are most courses?

Courses begin all throughout the year. The actual length of courses varies according to subject matter, and courses can last from just two or three days to the full semester. All course dates are given in the
Academic Credit Course Listing.

Where are courses held?

Courses meet in a variety of locations.  While some courses meet on the UM campus in Missoula, most meet in diverse locations throughout Montana, as well as around the world. Some are online so that you can login and complete lessons on your own schedule, from your own location.

How will I know if a class has been cancelled?

Extended Courses are offered through a wide variety of sponsoring agencies. Students should check with the specific agency for their policy on notification of course cancellation.

When and where will my grade be available? How do I order a transcript?

For academic credit courses, grades are available within a few weeks after the final and may be accessed on CyberBear by viewing an unofficial transcript.  UM does not notify students after course grades have been posted.  Grades and credits earned become part of your permanent UM transcript.

Students may order official transcripts from the UM Registrar's Office or through the National Student Clearinghouse.  Transcripts can be ordered via standard mail, ordered online through The Clearinghouse, or submitted in person.  Email, phone or fax requests cannot be accepted.

Candi Merrill
Interim Program Director

Holly Kulish
Program Manager

Join Our Mailing List
For Email Marketing you can trust

Disability Services for Students
The University of Montana is an equal opportunity education provider.  For questions, concerns, or requests for reasonable accommodations, contact Roger Maclean, Dean, School of Extended and Lifelong Learning: 406-243-2983;


  • School of Extended & Lifelong Learning
  • The University of Montana
  • 32 Campus Drive
  • Missoula, MT  59812
  • Phone: (406) 243-2900
  • Fax: (406) 243-2047
  • Email: