Accessible Navigation. Go to: Navigation Main Content Footer

Academic Enrichment

The University of Montana


Enrich your Education with Real-World Experience-RESEARCH

Undergraduate Research

Participating in Undergraduate Research and Creative Scholarship allows you to explore the questions and ideas that are truly your own or to help a faculty member with their research. Faculty in almost all fields at The University are willing to guide and mentor undergraduate students who are enthusiastic about research. This experience will extend classroom learning and provide a powerful foundation for further pursuits, including graduate school and employment.

Research experience may be initiated by you:

find more info....


  • Talk to your professors to find out what research opportunities are available in your major.
  • Share your research ideas with a faculty member who is doing research in an area that interests you.
  • Take a research methods course.
  • There is no official process to participate in Undergraduate Research and Creative Scholarship. Your best move forward is to talk to a faculty member and share your idea.

What is Undergraduate Research and Creative Scholarship?

Undergraduate Research
Undergraduate Research

Undergraduate Research is an inquiry or investigation conducted by an undergraduate student that makes an original intellectual or creative contribution to the discipline. Undergraduate research is conducted under the supervision of a faculty mentor and typically culminates in a poster or oral presentation and a comprehensive written report, essay or thesis.

  • Working in a science laboratory
  • Investigative field work
  • Investigating a historic event

Creative Scholarship

Creative Scholarship is likewise conducted with a faculty mentor and typically culminates in a public performance, reading or exhibition. In many cases, a creative project will also result in a reflective or interpretive essay that explores the creative process and examines the sources of artistic inspiration.

  • Composing or arranging music
  • Creating a sculpture or painting

Academic Enrichment

Corbin Hall 147

Missoula, MT 59812